Welcome to Little Town - a major new tutorial for GameMaker Studio 2. The following education tutorial package for Colleges & Universities provides an introduction to the principles of game development using GameMaker.
Developed in collaboration with award-winning game developer and university lecturer, Benjamin Rivers, Little Town has been designed to help new game designers quickly learn the core functionality of GameMaker Studio 2 in a natural, fun way. Little Town is an adventure game in which players control a child in an idyllic small town. By following clues, players must find the right items and bring them to one of the town’s three characters - the Baker, Teacher and Grocer.
The tutorial enables students, hobbyists and new game designers to create their own layout for Little Town and use code to bring it and its people to life. Users will also be able to choose where to hide each item, as well as writing their own hints and dialogue. With over eight hours of video tutorials as well as a wealth of supporting materials, the tutorial provides a robust framework for educators with teaching guidelines and assessment criteria with which colleges and universities can effectively start teaching game design to their students. The Little Town tutorial teaches many core skills from creating vibrant animations using GameMaker’s powerful Sequences tool to controlling sprites, sounds and laying-out the playing area - providing the perfect introduction to GameMaker Studio 2 and the fundamental principles of game design.
- Assessment Guide - 4 Page Word Document - Guide for Educators DOWNLOAD (81 KB)
- Instructor Guide - 306 Page PDF - HOW-TO & Written Tutorials Session 1-6 - DOWNLOAD (30 MB)
- Assets - Sprite Assets for Little Town Project - DOWNLOAD (8 MB)
- Audio - Instructions on how to download the audio files used - DOWNLOAD (84 KB)
- Projects - Each completed project per Session - DOWNLOAD (864 MB)
- Little Town Export - Final Windows EXE of Little Town Game - DOWNLOAD (129 MB)
Session 01 - Intro to GameMaker Studio 2
24 Videos -
Session 02 - Objects, Collisions and NPCs
24 Videos -
Session 03 - Characters, Textboxes and User Interface (UI)
20 Videos - Approx~1hr 30mins.
Session 04 - Controls, States and Data Structures
18 Videos - Approx~1hr 30mins.
Session 05 - Sequences
24 Videos - Approx~1hr 40mins.
Session 06 - Sequences and Gameplay Loop
24 Videos - Approx~1hr 20mins.
- Check out our Education Licences for GameMaker Studio 2: https://www.yoyogames.com/education
- Read our Educator survey article to discover why Game Design is such a great way to teach coding: https://www.yoyogames.com/en/blog/programming-and-class-engagement
- Try our other Education Coursework materials, Space Bubbles: https://www.yoyogames.com/en/tutorials/education-learning-to-program