You need the following before the beginning this tutorial:
Prepare Your Project
Click on the Target button in the upper-right corner of the GameMaker window. Here you select where you want to export your game.
Select the GX.games Platform:
Give your game a name:
- Near the top of the GameMaker window, click to open your Game Options.
- In the window that opens, select GX.games. This will open a new window.
- In the GX.games options, make sure "New Game" is selected, and then change your Game Name.
This should be a unique name and not already taken on GX.games.
- Hit OK to apply the changes.
Uploading to GX.games
Now upload your game to GX.games:
- Click on the Create Executable button at the top of the GameMaker window:
- This will open the GX.games Packaging window, which may ask you to sign into your Opera account (if you are not signed in already):
- Clicking on "Sign-In to Opera" will take you to the Opera website, where you can create a new account (if you don't have one) and log in.
- Once you log in, you will be taken back into GameMaker, which will start the upload process to GX.games.
After your game files are uploaded, we'll enter some game details for GX.games and publish it.
Let's set up the game details and get a private link that you can share with your friends. This means your game remains "unlisted" until you choose to list it on GX.games.
- Once the upload is complete, click "Edit Game on Opera".
- This will take you to GX.games DevCloud, where you can edit all your game details and publish it.
(You may be asked to select your Opera account and log in again.)
- On the Details page, you will see many game details. Here you can set if your game supports mobile, and if it's multiplayer.
- On the left, click on Publishing.
- Enable the "Private" version, which creates a private link to your game.
- Click on the "URL" button (highlighted above) to copy that URL, or click on "Open private game" to be taken to that page.
Share this URL with your friends and they will be able to play your game directly in their Opera GX browser!
You can also publish your game publicly so it appears in GX.games listings and can be searched by players.
- For this you need the three main sections of your game: Details, Media and Metadata.
("Cover video" under Media is not required)
- Once you have filled all details, go to the Publishing page and click "Promote to live".
- Then enable the Public toggle.
If you filled your game details properly, your game will now be published to GX.games! If not, you will simply be told what you missed; so ensure you have properly entered all information, and try publishing again.
Check out these tutorials to get the most out of GX.games:
How to Get Noticed on GX.games
- How to Create Challenges For Your GX.games Game
- Displaying Player Avatar In-Game
- Making In-Game Leaderboards for GX.games Challenges